Valentine’s day gives us all a perfect excuse to do something fun and shower those you care about with love.
There are a lot of easy and inexpensive ways to embrace quality time with your family members. For parents or caregivers this is a great time to teach little ones about gratitude and how to express their feelings.
Check out this list of ideas to spend quality time with children of all ages:
- Cook a special meal or bake treats together. Heart-shaped pancakes or cookies can be a fun and delicious activity.
- Talk with your child during breakfast or dinner about how much you love them and what love means to you. Encourage conversation by asking them questions about family, friends and love like: What do they love? How do they show others how much you love them?
- Enjoy a cozy evening with an age-appropriate movie. Make some popcorn and snuggle up!
- Visit the library and check out books about love and friendship. Choose stories that convey positive messages and discuss different themes.
- If you can’t be together physically, consider a virtual celebration. Connect with loved ones through video calls and play a game virtually.
- Bring out the construction paper and crayons to make valentine’s day cards for others.
- Leave notes of love around the house like “you’re special” or “you matter.” You can also put these out in the community on bulletin boards.
Each child is unique, so be sure to tailor your Valentine’s celebration to your child or family. The goal is to create an atmosphere of love and connection that you all will cherish and carry forward as they grow. Be sure to smile and laugh while you teach your children about love and gratitude.
Spread the love with one of these fun activities in the community in February.
- Send a valentines say card to a Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Cincinnati Public Library: Valentine’s Library Scavenger hunt
- Greene Country Public Library: Drop in Discovery – Valentine’s
Learn Through Play Daily Activity Calendars
Use one of these age-specific play calendars to support your child’s growth and development.
Looking for child care? The 4C for Children Family & Community Services team can help you with an individualized search to meet your child’s specific needs. Contact a specialist today!