Can you believe 2023 is already here? Have you thought about a New Year’s resolution that you can stick to? Consider this: helping your child excel at reading. This is a goal that you and your child can tackle together.
Studies have shown that when children are read to regularly it helps improve vocabulary and communication skills and develop a lifelong love of reading. Plus, the more time you and your child spend together strengthening their love of reading, your relationship will also grow stronger.
To receive our monthly tips via email, sign up for our Parent Source e-newsletter.
Here are a few ways to help you keep your resolution not only this year, but in the years to come:
- Visit the library once a month. This trip can provide your son or daughter with opportunities to discover diverse literature and gives you both a chance to spend time together. You can read picture books and look for longer books you can check out and take home. You can share your interests and bond.
- Read together every night. You do not need to dedicate a ton of time to before-bed reading for it to be helpful. Just spending 15- or 20-minutes reading together can make a big difference. This is a great way to settle down for the night.
- Resolve to bring at least one idea from reading into real life this year. If you are reading about a snowman, take your little one outside and experience the snow. Books are a great way to connect stories in books to the world around you.
- Reward your child for reaching reading milestones throughout the year. A reward system can help motivate you and your child to keep your resolution going. Some possible rewards for reading every night of the week or after reading a certain number of books could include allowing your child to pick what’s for dinner, schedule a movie night or pick a fun activity you can do together.
These are easy and practical ways for you to help your child discover the magical world of books and help them excel as readers. Here’s wishing you and your child many, many new reading adventures in 2023!
- Parkview Hospital: The Importance of Reading to your children
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library of Ohio
Learn Through Play Daily Activities: January
Help children learn through play by using one of the following age-specific monthly calendars that feature daily activities.