Read our monthly parenting e-newsletter for June 2022, featuring tips and strategies for families with young children.
Do you remember playing outside during the summer until the street lights came on or being outside every day until you were called for dinner?
For a child, playing outside always means there are adventures to be found and experienced.
Over the past few decades, we’re all spending less time outdoors. The reasons for this shift are many, from advancing technology and spending time on screen to families concerned about safety. But there are also many proven benefits to being outdoors, too, such as:
- Soaking up vitamin D, which promotes healthy bones
- Improving mental health by easing stress and depression
- Making exercise fun for kids
- Promoting less screen time for children and families
- Inspiring children to use their imagination
- Teaching and learning opportunities about seasons, stars, weather, and more
Spending family time outside doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are some simple ideas for outdoor family time.
- Take a walk in your neighborhood, downtown, or around your house
- Play catch in the backyard
- Go stargazing
- Eat dinner outside, picnic-style
- Go on a bike ride
- Play tag, I Spy, or make up your own game
- Go on a nature walk
- Visit your local park
- Find pictures in the clouds
- Read books outside
We all want quality time with our families that is enjoyable, easy to plan and doesn’t always involve spending money. Explore more resources below.
- Miami Valley Metro Parks Activities
- Great Parks of Hamilton County
- “Outdoors with Jason Mraz,” via Sesame Street
- Free Outdoor Movies—Miami Valley
- Free Outdoor Movies—Southwest Ohio
The great outdoors is literally right outside the door. Plan a fun day outside. You won’t be sorry you did!
Learn Through Play Daily Activities: June
Help children learn through play by using one of the following age-specific monthly calendars that feature daily activities.
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Infant
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Toddler
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Preschool