Welcome to our Family Child Care Provider e-news feature! Once every other month we will gather resources that are specific to Family Child Care Providers in the Miami Valley and Southwest Ohio. Stay tuned to receive the latest updates to help support you in your business and your journey to providing quality care for our youngest learners.
The next “Family Child Care Connections” virtual meeting is Tuesday, Feb. 22 from 6-7:30 p.m. The topic for this month will be “Embracing Diversity.” Click this Zoom Link at the meeting start time to join us: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88208439648?pwd=RDAxVDIxeFR3d0V2K1pPdWxXdk01QT09
The goal for these sessions is to support family child care providers in your daily interactions with children and families, in a relaxed, professional virtual environment.
Here are some action steps to take and some important reminders for your family child care business this month:
SAVE, SAVE, SAVE
As a family child care provider, you are a business owner. So it’s very important to save all important documents including purchase receipts, invoices, family payment receipts and tax records. Saving these documents will help with reconciliation and/or audits from agencies tht offer loans and/or grants. If you think it is important, SAVE IT!
You can find tips on recordkeeping by reviewing Tom Copeland’s blog: https://tomcopelandblog.com/
Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Licensing Rule Reminder:
What is the current process to submit a rating renewal?
1. A program shall request to renew its rating by logging onto https://oclqs.force.com ninety days prior to the star-rating expiration date to complete and submit an ongoing registration.
2. If the program does not submit a rating renewal, the rating shall be discontinued on the rating expiration date.
Here is an important tip to help you with your Step Up To Quality goals. Reach out to your coach if you need help.
Let’s Discuss Diversity.
Embracing diversity and inclusion in your program is recommended in the Dramatic Play section of your Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale (FCCERS). Having accessible materials that represent diversity such as dolls representing different races/cultures, food, clothing and music or equipment used by people with disabilities will help increase your score.
In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in January and Black History Month in February, try these activities that help encourage positive attitudes toward race.
DIY Diversity Hand Puppets: Create hand puppets to use during circle time to engage interest in seeing different skin tones, to tell a story or put on a show.
We All Fit Together: Create a program puzzle allowing students to describe themselves from their viewpoint (example: self-drawn photo, hobbies, fun fact, etc.) on a puzzle piece and then connect the pieces together. Find a template here.
Books to Read
- Babies Around the World, By Puck
- The Little Trailblazer, By Joan Holub
- The Skin You Live In, By Michael Tyler
- I Promise, Lebron James
- I Am Enough, By Grace Byers
- All Are Welcome, By Alexandra Penfold
Here are some resources you might want to know more about!
- Upcoming 4C for Children training can be found here: https://www.4cforchildren.org/providers/training/
- Knowledge at Naptime Training: This 1-hour, Ohio Approved monthly training series is for child care programs with an active Cincinnati Preschool Promise contract in the QI or TA program. The topic for February is: Setting Up Your Environment. You have three options to attend (choose 1): Feb. 9 from 1-2pm; Feb. 9 from 6-7 p.m.; or Feb. 17 from 1-2 p.m. Reach out to your Cincinnati Preschool Promise Coach to register.
- Free Professional Development courses that you can do at your-own pace on https://registry.occrra.org/:
- FCC Maximizing Block Play In the Home Center ST# 10108274
- Inclusion Umbrella Strategies for School-Age Programs: Supporting Children of Diverse Backgrounds and Needs ST#10108073
- Assessment and Early Intervention for Infants and Toddlers. ST#10108143
- Bold Beginnings: https://boldbeginning.ohio.gov/
To receive these updates via email, sign up for our Pathways email newsletter.