October is the month that we celebrate the bilingual child, as well as continuing the celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15). There are many benefits to bilingualism and celebrating family culture and history. Explore the resources linked below to learn more.
- Celebrate Your Child’s Multilingualism, from NAEYC
- 7 Myths and Facts About Bilingual Children Learning Language, from HealthyChildren.org
- Why Reading to Your Kids in Your Home Language Will Help Them Become Better Readers, from Colorín Colorado
- Spanish Me, English Me, from Sesame Street
- Hispanic Heritage Booklists, compiled by Colorín Colorado
Learn Through Play Daily Activities: October
Help children learn through play by using one of the following age-specific monthly calendars that feature daily activities.
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Infant
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Toddler
- Learn Through Play Calendar: Preschool
To receive our monthly tips via email, sign up for our Parent Source e-newsletter.