Please note: In order to limit the spread of COVID-19, our offices are currently closed and all 4C for Children staff are serving families and child care programs remotely. Visit our COVID-19 Resources Page for up-to-date information.
- One-Star Tool . This resource walks you through all of the steps to registering for your first star. You will also receive a free SUTQ resource binder when you sign up. The binder has all the paperwork you need to register for a one-star rating.
- One-Star Renewal Tool. This resource will help you move through the steps required to renew your family child care or center Step Up To Quality one-star rating. All programs must submit a renewal registration no later than 90 days before the rating expires.
- Individual Coaching. 4C early childhood coaches will come alongside you to assess quality and develop an action plan to help programs achieve a Step Up To Quality rating.
The state of Ohio has mandated that all child care providers—both centers and family child care providers—must be Step Up To Quality rated by September 1, 2020 to continue serving children who receive child care subsidy. But getting rated is easier than you might think when you tap into the 4C training and coaching opportunities available to individual providers and networks of providers.
- Reimbursement rate increase. The amount of money you receive for each child in your program increases with each star your program earns. Use the SUTQ calculator to see the increased reimbursement you receive for providing quality early care and education.
- Lower staff turnover. Staff members in SUTQ rated programs are proud of their work and accomplishments. They have knowledge about child development and improve their teaching practices as they learn more. Turnover slows as SUTQ resources such as a formal wage structure and staff supports increase staff stability.
- Increased enrollment. Parents are choosing quality settings for their children and will be intentional in choosing SUTQ-rated programs in the future. Your SUTQ star rating is a sign of your commitment to provide quality child care.
- Help kids succeed. Children in SUTQ star rated programs score higher on Kindergarten Readiness Assessments. When children are ready for kindergarten, they read better in third grade and are more likely to graduate from high school. Children who are successful in school grow to be successful in life.
- It’s required. Starting July 1, 2020, you must be SUTQ rated to provide care for children who receive publicly funded child care. If you care for children using the Swipe card or the TAPS system, don’t wait to get your first star.